Whether it's through playing-time or individual performance incentives, NFL players annually trigger base salary increases in their contracts.
According to NFLPA records, the following players have triggered base salary increases for the 2011 season.
Players with a * next to their name are entering the final year of their contract.
Several expected base salary escalations have yet to be posted--Seattle Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch, for example--so this list will be updated over the next few weeks.
Additional info via multiple sources with knowledge of existing contracts:
- Matt Ryan trigged a $1m escalator when he was named to his first Pro Bowl.
- Joe Flacco's $1.7 million base salary increase in 2011 was explained in this space last month.
- With a $2.2 million increase, Ben Grubbs maximized his five-year, $10.625 million rookie contract.
- In addition to his full guaranteed $2,558,165 salary, Joe Haden will receive a $4.5 million roster bonus in 2011. Haden's 2012-14 base salaries increased to $5.765505M (2012), $6.936429M (2013), and $6.678193M (2014).
- With a career-high 77 receptions, 1,448 yards and 11 touchdowns, Brandon Lloyd went to his first Pro Bowl and added $600K to his 2011 salary.
- Calvin Johnson reached a contractual incentive in 2010 that reduced his 2011 base salary by $1,575,482. The same incentive increased his 2012 salary by the same amount, and is now scheduled to earn $14 million in the final season of his contract.
- Though he couldn't play in the game due to his participation in the Super Bowl, Nick Collins earned a $300,000 Pro Bowl escalator.
- Charles Woodson triggered a one-time $1.35 million base salary escalator in his contract.
- Jamaal Charles' $600K base salary escalation was part of the contract extension he signed in December.
- Jake Long's $475K increase was tied to playing-time and being named to the Pro Bowl.
- Jason Smith's $8.5 million base salary next season is fully guaranteed.
- Josh Freeman's $200,000 increase in 2011 is just an appetizer; A total of $12.5 million has been added to his 2012-13 base salaries.